Thursday, May 31, 2012

Repurposed Blue Roll Top Desk

After
Before
I love doing projects and anything creative that keeps me busy when I have free time.  My first project that I re-purposed was a roll top desk. 

I started this project by first sanding down the entire desk.  I only sanded the desk to remove a thin layer of paint.  Next, I tightened all of the screws with my hubby's help and used wood glue to ensure a sturdier desk. 

I coated the desk with 2 coats of Zinsser spray paint primer to conceal any stains and protect the desk from scratches and allowing the paint to truly show and not have any discoloration.  I made sure to lightly sand in-between coats and allow the primer to fully dry. 

I used Rust-oleum satin aqua for the color and used about 3 coats of spray paint.  I probably went through at least 4 cans but loved the way the spray paint coated the desk.  There were no paint brush streaks that you would normally get by just painting furniture.  Throughout each coat I sanded and used a tack cloth to get all debris off before I started a new coat.  The spray painting aspect was really quick, but I waited at least 24 hours between each coat from primer to the color.  To finish off the desk and to add maximum protection, I applied 2 thin coats of Minwax satin polyurethane spray. 

I also added a cute chair I found in the garage to go with the desk.  I used the same method of sanding, priming, and then applying color.

For now, the desk and chair are sitting in my game room, but I am hoping someone would like to include this set into their home.  It would be perfect for a corner in anyone's house or even in a little boy's or girl's room.  Please contact me if you would like this adorable piece to be in your home!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment